Could you support the education of the adults of tomorrow?
Become a school governor
All schools have a group of people who, with the school staff, are responsible for ensuring the quality of education in our schools.
Could you bring the necessary skills?
- Experience of being a board member in another sector or a governor/trustee in another school
- Commitment to Church School education with Christian understanding
- Understanding and experience of strategic planning
- Understanding of current education policy
- Ability to analyse data, question and challenge
- Links with the community and local businesses
- Commitment to young people and the local community
- Financial acumen
- A willingness to learn new skills
- An ability to support others
The Diocese has:
- 141 schools—urban, rural, large, small, primary, secondary
- Over 26,000 pupils
- 29% of all primary pupils in Lincolnshire
- Around 400 Foundation governors who have specific responsibility for the Christian distinctiveness of the school
- A rich diversity of faiths and cultures within the church school family
Governors are appointed by either the Diocesan Board of Education or the local Parochial Church Council. The term of office is normally four years. A governing body needs people who bring their knowledge and skills of the working world. Together with the senior leadership of the school, governors ensure that the highest quality of education is being provided for the pupils enabling them to be the successful adults of tomorrow.
The Board of Education
Believing that every child is made in the image of God and loved by Him, the Diocese of Lincoln is committed to education. Our church schools were founded for the good of their local communities for all children irrespective of religious affiliation, faith or back-ground.
Please contact Susan Edgar, Governance & Compliance Lead, for more information about becoming a governor
tel: 01522 504010
Recruiting Foundation Governors
Finding a suitable, willing and able person to serve as a Foundation governor in church schools is no easy task for the Parochial Church Council (PCC).
In this paper (click here), we have identified the common challenges that PCCs face in recruiting governors and developed some strategies that could support church schools and PCCs develop a more collaborative approach in finding the right governors for schools. This support paper will be circulated to all PCCs.
If you have questions relating to the paper, please contact the Governance & Compliance LEad, Susan Edgar at firstname.lastname@example.org